Thursday, September 21, 2017

Millennial Dating

So, it is day one of no social media. I have gone to the Facebook app at least three times this morning. It is a habit that will lessen with time. It is more annoying than funny after awhile.

I woke up this morning to a bright notification stating, "It's a match!" To my confusion, I guess Tinder still works without Facebook as long as you had already signed in. Yes, I, Emily Cortez am a Tinder user. My profile is nothing that gives my personal self away, the pictures I made sure reflect my hobbies and my Spotify song is "Ffunny Ffiends" by Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Simple and to the point. No cute sayings or funny emojis. I always had my mother tell me I am too pretty for online dating. I think she meant that in her own sweet way. I way over-complication situations, too sensitive, I like my alone time and sometimes I just want to sleep. Did I mention, I am constantly busy? It is the way I am programmed; more robot than human.

Anyways, I went on a date with a guy that thankfully reflected his profile. He was nice and fun. Though, I wasn't initially attracted to him. I think that is such an important quality. Though, not the main quality as I like to still have conversation with a half decent person. I need human touch to be in par with personality. I hadn't felt that connection with anyone like that since July. I had high hopes but in all - I felt like he was little too braggy. I feel as a conversation - especially with someone you have never met before to be fluid and flowing. Back and forth - "What do you do?" .. "Awesome, how did you like it?".. "What would you do different if you could do that over again?" Conversation to me is not at all selfish. I hear what I think about all day, how refreshing it is to listen to others thoughts. To challenge my own. I know, right off the bat if there conversation is all about themselves - it won't work. Though, I like the friendly connection and jeez, this was my first date here in Asheville. What the hell, let's go somewhere else.

We go to a brewery - which I immediately get denied because I don't have my North Carolina license and my Texas one is expired. Ok, plan B is me going home to get my ID and then meeting at this other bar. Frazier's Tavern. Literally walking distance from my apartment. I had a lull moment one night when both my roommate and I were feeling homesick - though she didn't want to go out, I did. The night was unusually dead for a Friday night that even concerned the bartender. I had an amazing heart to heart with the bartender that I ended drinking two margaritas, two beers and shot. Though, older me when she gets drunk wants to go to bed than stay and hammer it out all night. Thus, for one more night reviving my love for Asheville once again.

So, we enter Frazier's Tavern and we talk and have a good time. Men, please do not touch on the first date. I had to say no because I just don't believe in it. Seriously, don't touch me. I am the biggest prude when it comes to that but I don't care. Attractiveness level is at a extreme low from that moment. When we leave, he walks into my apartment to see my bike. Which is fine, he looked at my bike, suggested things, peeked at my record collection in the living room, said hi to our cat Louie. He questioned my where my roommate was and I said, "Out of town." I think he was hoping I would have asked him to stay but I just wasn't feeling it. Plus, a lady's gotta work in the morning. We kissed which wasn't magical or a show of fireworks. Normal. I told him I wasn't really feeling it.

The next day, I sat by myself in the living room. Drinking a beer, playing Chastity Belt on the record player and working on a puzzle. I was content.

No comments:

Post a Comment